Hello from Zurich! I must apologize for the severe lack of updates on how the trip is going, but since the Stringers are in the middle of a move, the computer hasn't been set up yet, and so we don't really have a way to post from the house. Which is fine for us, but if you're waiting for a post...it might take a bit. We're currently in an internet cafe in Zurich, so we can update and check email and stuff. We spent our morning at the badi, and then came in to the city and walked around, got ice cream, and went to a park where we relaxed for a while, had snacks, and saw baby swans. We also almost had a dangerous run-in with some Swiss teenagers, who I've been told are not too fond of people speaking English.
This morning we got up very early to go to the badi to hang out with Emily, who was going back to England tomorrow. We had a fantastic time and actually met some kids from around town who knew of Matthew and Katheryn, and we played "ball tag" with them - if you get hit with the ball, you're it. Very fun to play in the water.
So since we started this wonderful trip everything has been so busy! We go to the badi just about every day to swim and run around, and it's so much fun. I wish that everyone back at home could experience the "wobbly water slide" at one of them - it's huge, fast, and we race.
On Tuesday (I believe) we took the train into Zurich to climb up the Grossmunster, this amazing and tall church that was built in...I believe sometime in the 1500s, but maybe earlier. We had to pay four francs, but once we made it up the claustrophobia-inducing staircases, the view was absolutely breathtaking. The church itself was gorgeous as well, but I don't have any pictures of the inside because there was a no photography sign (though that doesn't stop everyone.) We had a delicious lunch at a restaurant and Hannah sat and drew a gorgeous scene from across Lake Zurich. Perhaps she will show it to you if you ask nicely.
After we got back, Matthew, Emma, Kathryn, Hannah and I decided it would be FANTASTIC to take all the boxes the movers had left overnight and turn them into the BEST BOX FOR EVER. So we did. It was probably the 2nd most fun I've had since we got here, first most fun being at the badi with Emma and Emily. And then Aunt Kathy suggested we sleep out there overnight, so Hannah the architect redesigned the fort to have long boxes as "beds" in a general bedroom, and we all slept out there, and looked at the stars. (saw a TON of shooting stars.)
The movers woke us up in the morning. They were taking the boxes away. It was a sad, sad moment. But we moved on.
Yesterday we went to Lucerne to visit the Glaci, or glass factory. We went on this tour that showed us the history of the glassmaking process in Switzerland, and we got to watch the men who work at the factory actually making the glass. It was fantastic! I loved to watch them all; it was weird because they cut the hot glass liquid with these giant metal scissors - it's hard to imagine how hot that must be!
We also sat outside the factory and had a lovely picnic; we also fed some of our bread and chips to the ducks. It's crazy how fast they swarm, the minute you start throwing them food. I also got about a foot away from a little bird (maybe a sparrow?) because I threw down chips and he wasn't afraid of me. I took a picture that I'll put up later. (My foot is in it for reference.)
I've been helping out with dinner in the evening - I love to cook, and I've been in charge of the salads! I'm hoping at some point we can have mac & cheese, because that's my comfort food. But all the food here has been fantastic so far.
Going to sign off now because it's getting expensive to sit here any longer... But I have more to write that I'm sure I forgot about, and I want to get you all the updates at some point.
Email me or comment with any questions you have or anything you want elaboration on!
No comments:
Post a Comment